I know what you’re thinking right now.
You’re thinking, “She hasn’t posted anything in over a month and now that she has the house to herself again and plenty of free time, she gives us a green smoothie? Are we being punked?”.
But let me assure you, this is no joke. I overindulged in way too many things this summer.
Too much take-out.
Too much beer.
Too much wine.
Too much sun (as if that was possible).
So today, after the kids left for school – haaaaleluyah! – I felt like I needed a big glass of liquid health.
My “green” smoothies never actually turn out green because I add so much other stuff to them. Truthfully, they usually turn out an unappetizing shade of brown but the blueberries made this one a lovely deep purple shade.
Deep Purple? Smoooke on the waaater. Oh. Sorry.
If you’re one of those people who think green smoothies are gross, I encourage you to try this one. It actually tastes really good. Sometimes green smoothies ARE gross and I just chug them as fast as I can to get it over with, but this one has a delicious blend of interesting flavors.
Go ahead, don’t knock it ‘til you’ve tried it!
Note: If you hate cilantro, however, this isn’t for you. You could try leaving it out or substituting parsley but I really love the little kick the cilantro gives this.
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup blueberries, frozen
- 1 small sweet apple such as MacIntosh, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- small handful fresh cilantro
- 1 cup water
- dash of sea salt
- juice of one lemon wedge
- 3-4 ice cubes
- Add all ingredients to blender except ice.
- Blend very well. My blender has a “liquify” setting which works very well. You will probably need to stop and stir the ingredients a few times during the process.
- Once all is blended and smooth, add ice cubes and continue blending until no chunks of ice remain.
- Serve immediately.