I’m leavin’ on a jet plane. Don’t know when I’ll be back again. Wait. Nevermind, yes I do. Next Saturday, to be exact.
For seven straight days I’ll be soaking up the sun on Anna Maria Island on the beautiful Gulf Coast of Florida. I cannot wait to be there. I am a bit of a sun-bathing extraordinaire. Don’t worry, I’m not going to use SPF 4 tanning oil. I’m not.
Our flight doesn’t leave until later so I had time to whip up this fabulous breakfast. Yea. That’s funny. I’ve barely finished packing!
I did make this last weekend, though, and it was Uh. Maze. Ing.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup warmed milk (I used 1%)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- A couple handfuls of soft fruit (strawberries, blueberries, bananas)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 385 degrees F.
- Spray a 10.5 inch oven proof pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl beat the egg whites until peaks form.
- In a larger bowl, gently beat the whole eggs with flour, salt, honey, and vanilla.
- Whisk in the warm milk and then gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Heat the prepared pan on the stove over medium heat.
- Pour the batter in and cook for a few minutes until the edges just begin to set.
- Layer your fruit on top and then transfer the pan to the oven.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until puffed up and golden.
- Drizzle with honey (or maple syrup if you prefer. Uh, we may have used both.)
I was afraid to make this at first because I thought it was going to be a sticky mess in the pan. I’m really glad took the risk because it lifted out beautifully and it’s off-the-hook good. Light, eggy and sweet, it’s like a cross between a pancake and a Dutch baby. I’m definitely trying this with fresh, juicy peaches when they are in season.
I’m so glad I found this recipe (which I barely altered, except to double it) at Things We Make. Make sure you check it out because her pictures are so much better than mine and she says cute British words like “hob”.
And, I’m off. But don’t fret, I’m not going to leave you totally in the lurch. I’ll have a fabulous guest blogger or two checking in throughout the week so plan on stopping by to see what they make. I know I’m excited!