Nutella, like real mayonnaise, was an enigma in my house when I was growing up. We were strictly a Miracle Whip (gag!) and Skippy household, but occasionally I was treated to the hazelnut-cocoa glory of Nutella at a friend’s house.
I forgot how yummy Nutella was until last summer when I discovered Nutella crepes at an amusement park, of all places. It’s been a staple in our house ever since.
I love how they market Nutella as a health food. Really? The first two ingredients are sugar and palm oil. It’s about as “healthy” as a Ferraro Rocher truffle. For me, it’s dessert (with a spoon, right out of the jar works) or a Sunday morning treat.
This French toast makes a fabulous Sunday morning treat for any Nutella lover. I made it with bananas but strawberries would be awesome, too. Or both!
- 8 slices of thin bread (Pepperidge Farm Very Thin Bread works great)
- one large banana, sliced thin
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Slather each slice of bread with nutella (to your liking). Put a layer of sliced bananas on 4 of the bread slices and then put together 4 Nutella/banana sandwiches.
- In a shallow, wide bowl beat together the eggs, milk, and cinnamon with a fork.
- Spray a large pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-low heat.
- Dip the sandwiches in the egg mixture to lightly coat each side, shake off the excess egg and place in the hot pan.
- Cook until both sides are firm and lightly browned.