I must admit, this post is kind of a cop-out. I mean it IS Monday and this IS a Moosewood recipe,
but aren’t most desserts vegetarian? If you’re looking for meatless Monday ideas you won’t find one here today. Sorry.Scratch that. I just realized this cake is vegan! That’s a pretty awesome thing for vegan cake-lovers.
Anyway, I got my days totally screwed up. I thought it was already next week and that I was supposed to post my Recipe ReDux today (always the 21st of each month). It wasn’t until I was halfway through typing it up that I realized I was way ahead of myself.
And simultaneously behind because I had nothing ready for today.
I grabbed my trusty copy of Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home. This is, hands down, my favorite book from the Moosewood Collective because all of the recipes are quick and easy. Since it was already 9pm, the title of this recipe obviously caught my eye. The title, and the fact that I amazingly had all the ingredients. I can’t even remember the last time I bought groceries. For real. We have absolutely no food.
Well, except now we have chocolate cake. Let them eat cake!
Even though I adore the Moosewood, I have to say the title of this recipe is a little misleading. I timed it, and it took me 10 minutes to prepare. And they don’t include the time it takes to make the frosting. Luckily, my kids are weird and they don’t like frosting so I skipped that step altogether.
Still, it’s a super quick recipe with minimal clean-up. It came out delicious and tasted pretty much identical to any basic chocolate cake from a box. This might just be the perfect cake to make when your child tells you right before bed that they’re supposed to bring treats to school in the morning. Double the recipe, make 24 cupcakes, and you’ll be good to go. No panic attack required.
- 1½ cups unbleached white flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cold water or brewed coffee (I used water)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- ½ pound bittersweet chocolate
- ¾ cup hot water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and sugar into an ungreased 8 inch square baking dish.
- In a 2 cup measuring cup, measure and mix the oil, water or coffee and vanilla.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the baking tin and mix the batter with a fork or small whisk.
- When the batter is smooth, add the vinegar and stir quickly. Pale swirls will occur where the vinegar and baking soda react. Stir just until the vinegar is even distributed throughout the batter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes (mine took 30). Set aside to cool.
- If you are making the glaze, reset the oven to 300°F.
- Melt the chocolate in small ovenproof bowl or heavy skillet in the oven for about 15 minutes. Stir the hot liquid and vanilla into the chocolate until smooth.
- Spoon the glaze over the cooled cake. Refrigerate the glazed cake for a minimum of 30 minutes before
Recipe from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home.
Link up your best vegetarian recipes below. Anything goes today, even dessert!